Conventional collectivist created authority is a deception in consciousness. You are your own Authority!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Performance Enhancement Drugs Why Should We Care?

The plain truth about all sports, including professional sports especially, is that in the final analysis, while often entertaining, the outcomes of all the events put together amount to about as much importance to our lives as the trash left behind in the stadium stands.

In short, sports and sporting events are overly hyped occurrences, and the fans – fanatics – become emotionally involved over essentially nothing.  It’s all about winning just for the sake of winning.

It’s entertainment. The multi-millionaire athletes are merely playing games. Contact sports are a scripted outlet for controlled human aggression. There is really nothing at all serious about it. It’s merely an interval of fun and excitement, nothing more.

So as a libertarian I ask: why should anyone give a damn if an athlete chooses to use performance enhancing substances? It’s his life. It’s his body. It’s his personal liberty. He can choose his diet. He can choose his exercise and body building regimen. He can choose his own personal lifestyle. Why shouldn’t that include performance enhancement drugs?

There’s nothing unfair about it. Anyone should be allowed to do it.

Yet the sporting authorities today, and even most of the fans, are brainwashed to believe that the nation’s War on Drugs should make wrongdoers out of athletes who merely seek to enhance their performances on the playing field.

Alex Rodriguez told a news conference this week that the past seven months for him has been a “nightmare, probably the worst time of my life,” because of the severe punishment hanging like a sword over his head by Major League Baseball for using performance-enhancing drugs. He was suspended for the remainder of the current season and all of next year.

"There's nothing about it that's been easy," Rodriguez said. "All of it has been challenging. I'm sure there's been mistakes made along the way. We're here now. I'm a human being. I've had two hip surgeries. I've had two knee surgeries. I'm fighting for my life."

Of course it’s not easy. Anyone who takes steroids or other performance enhancing drugs on a frequent basis is a goddamned fool. That stuff will turn your testicles into the size of garden peas; wreak havoc with your entire body; shorten your life span and generally turn you into a freak.

But how many professional athletes live out normal life spans anyway? How many of them make big money in their prime only to die young regardless of whether they use drugs? They are fools in my opinion for playing contact sports anyway. Why don’t the authorities ban that?  

"I am disappointed with the penalty and intend to appeal and fight this through the process," Rodriguez continued. "I am eager to get back on the field and be with my teammates in Chicago tonight. I want to thank my family, friends and fans who have stood by my side through all this."

In addition to Rodriguez, baseball handed out 50-game suspensions to a dozen other players for violating Major League Baseball’s drug policy.

His suspension, which will cost him tens of millions, “is based on his use and possession of numerous forms of prohibited performance-enhancing substances, including Testosterone and Human Growth Hormone, over the course of multiple years," and for "engaging in a course of conduct intended to obstruct and frustrate the Office of the Commissioner's investigation," according to Major League Baseball authorities.

"Faced with this situation, I made an error in judgment that I deeply regret, and I accept full responsibility for that error,” explained Texas Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz.

Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta, also said that he made a “lapse in judgment.”“I apologize to everyone that I have hurt as a result of my mistake, including my teammates, the Tigers' organization, the great fans in Detroit, Major League Baseball, and my family,” he said.

But who has he hurt, and why should he have to apologize for making a foolish personal choice which could only do damage to him?

Sporting enhancement drugs: why should we care?


No comments:

Post a Comment